Friday, June 17, 2011

My night job

I have two jobs at which I earn a paycheck. One is working as Admin. Ass't. to the Sierra Pacific Conference Free Methodist Church and I often refer to it as my day job.  The other is my 'night job' since most of the time, I do nights shifts so I can work my day shift more consistently.   Said night job is working as a surgical technician, and I work in labor and delivery.  I love it because most of the time it is a happy place and babies are such wonderful creatures that show God's greatest of miracles, life.

Tonight I'm working.  I wasn't here long when I noticed I had a missed call from my nephew Josh.  It's been a slow shift, so I gave him a quick call.  He had terrible news to tell me and was concerned how Joe would take it.   One of Joe's classmates from Victory, who he lived with for a few months while he worked in Sacramento before joining the Army lost his wife of just less than two weeks in a tragic para sailing accident in the Bahama's while on their honeymoon.  They were double para sailing and apparently the rope broke.  Crystal did not survive the fall, and Victor is the hospital, alert and aware he has lost his bride.  I of course thanked Josh for calling me, then I called Joe.  I cannot tell you how I hate being the bearer of bad news.  They had phone calls to make, as Krista's brother and Victor were best buds, and is how Joe met Krista.  It's been a long night without much to occupy my mind with.

We had a baby earlier, but I was not present at the birth.  Our second baby was born just a few minutes ago to a couple who had been trying for four years to have their miracle baby.  Lots of pushing and hard work, finally baby arrived.  I was in the room for that birth and it was quiet emotional as the parents had waited so long.  After assisting the Doctor with a few necessary items, it hit me like a ton of bricks the reality that life goes on.  Please don't think me callous for thinking this so soon after Crystals extremely untimely death.  In facing many of my own losses of loved ones, a sister, parents, grandparents, another friends child, and friends, I've often wished that time would stand still, not because I wanted it to end, but because I needed time to adjust to the loss,time to catch my breath, but time does not stand still, not even for mourning our loved ones.  With the news of tragic loss, I also had the privilege to witness the greatest miracle, the birth of child. And time moves on, and life goes on.

As I sat down to write this the radio was playing, ironically, Time after Time but Cyndi Lauper.  A song that always reminds me of my sister Geri.  Two lines stuck out clearly to me tonight.........  'this precious time, when time is new'   Lord, help me to always remember how precious time is, and to use it wisely.

1 comment:

  1. Tears...of sadness.
    Tears...of joy, knowing my Saviour made time for Me.

    ReplyDelete